Chad G. Clark
Chad is a former Air Force pilot and an experienced intellectual property attorney. He received his undergraduate degree from the United States Air Force Academy and went on to fly reconnaissance missions all over the world in RC-135 Rivet Joint and Cobra Ball aircraft. After 10 years of service, Chad separated from the military and attended Stanford Law School, where he studied intellectual property law and was an editor for the Stanford Law Review. After graduation, he moved with his family to Cincinnati, Ohio, and began his legal practice at Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease as a business litigation associate.
In 2012, Chad joined Clark Business & Health Law, a boutique healthcare and intellectual property firm. There, he stood up his own intellectual property practice, including drafting and prosecuting utility patents, design patents and trademarks before the USPTO, and counseling businesses in the biotech and healthcare industries on IP strategy, licensing, research collaborations and non-disclosure agreements.
IP Strategy Experience
One of Chad’s early clients was Eccrine Systems, Inc., a biotechnology startup. Eventually, he joined their executive team as VP of intellectual property. In that role, he developed the company’s IP strategy and drafted its patent applications involving physiology, DNA aptamer and other electrochemical sensing technology, electronics and software elements. As Eccrine grew into a 55-person company, Chad was named general counsel, assuming additional responsibility for the company’s legal operations including managing all corporate contracts, licensing, product launch, employment, HR and corporate governance functions.
In addition to his considerable IP experience, Chad has litigated False Claims Act (FCA) defense cases on behalf of government contractors and healthcare entities, as well as residential mortgage-backed securities (RMBS) cases. He has also worked extensively for clients needing healthcare transactional support, advising businesses and healthcare institutions on compliance with complex regulatory obligations, including Stark, Anti-Kickback and HIPAA requirements.
As a member of Martensen IP, Chad brings his considerable and varied experience, both as a legal professional and as a service member, to bear for his intellectual property clients. His legal advice reflects a deep understanding of business legal needs, as well as his lifelong commitment to excellence, attention to detail and integrity.
- D853,416: Display Screen or Portion Thereof with Graphical User Interface
- US 9,867,539: Sweat Sensing Device Communication Security and Compliance
- US 10,136,831: Sweat Sensing with Chronological Assurance
- US 10,201,279: Sweat Sensing Device Communication Security and Compliance
- US 10,254,089: Firearm-Mounted Defense Spray Foregrip System
- US 10,258,262: Sweat Sensing Device Communication Security and Compliance
- US 10,405,794: Sweat Conductivity, Volumetric Sweat Rate, and Galvanic Skin Response Devices and Applications
- US 10,451,623: System for Chemiluminescence-Based Detection of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus
- US 10,485,460: Devices for Integrated Indirect Sweat Stimulation and Sensing
- US 10,506,968: Devices Capable of Fluid Sample Concentration for Extended Sensing of Analytes
- US 10,646,142: Smart Sweat Stimulation and Sensing Devices
- US 10,674,946: Sweat Sensing Devices with Sensor Abrasion Protection
Areas of Practice
- Patent Preparation and Prosecution
- IP Strategy
Certified Legal Specialties
- Patents, USPTO
- Stanford Law School, Palo Alto, CA, J.D., Stanford Law Review, 2010
- University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE, M.A.: History, 1998
- United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, CO, B.S.: Concentrations in Physics and History, Academic Distinction, Military Distinction, 1997
- United States Supreme Court of Ohio
- United States Patent & Trademark Office
- United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Association of Corporate Counsel
Previous Work History
- Clark Business & Health Law, Cincinnati, OH, Managing Counsel, 2012 – Present
- Eccrine Systems, Inc., Cincinnati, OH, General Counsel & VP of Intellectual Property, 2015 – 2020
- Vorys, Sater, Seymour & Pease, LLP, Cincinnati, OH, Business Litigation Associate, 2010 – 2012
- United States Air Force, Offutt AFB, NE, Senior Evaluator Pilot, Major, 1997 – 2007
- National Resources Defense Council
- American Civil Liberties Union
- Arbor Day Foundation